Monday, July 9, 2007

An update...

I made it back in one peice from my future site visit. I actually only spent one day at my site--the rest of my week was spent in transit (literally). So... yeah. I'm never leaving my site. :) Just kidding.

We left Nairobi around noon on Wednesday (our bus left 3 hours late) and 9 hours later had made it to Kisumu (this was due to the fact that the roads in Kenya are unlike any roads I have EVER experienced. The ride is supposed to take about 4 hours I was told...). Anyway, because it was already late, we stayed the night in Kisumu and left really early on Thursday to catch a 2 hour matatu to Bumala. Once we got to Bumala, we got on another matatu, and 45 minutes later arrived at my town, where we got on boda bodas (bikes) and were taken a few more kms to my compound. I was met along the way by a group of women from my compound who were clapping and singing and dancing (apparently Lous like to sing and dance).... so I hopped off the boda boda and danced and sang all the way back to our compound. It was SO my style... we were laughing and in general making a scene (they later remarked that they are "so blessed to have been brought a happy person").

My set up is pretty sweet-- my house really is HUGE... huge sitting room, huge bedroom... my very own choo.... and the compuond I'm on is HUGE, too. There are about 5 houses, a jikoni (kitchen building) and it's all surrounded by shamba. My Baba, two of his wives, several of his (15) children and some other people all live on the compound, so... I'm surrounded by people. And some cows. There are also beautiful streams in the area with huge boulders in them.

I only stayed over night (the next day we went back to Kisumu), but from what I gathered, my life will be pretty sweet. Really rural, a bit isolated, but really sweet.

I'm getting booted off the net (story of my life).... promise to continue the saga ASAP.

Love and miss,
H

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah -

finally caught up with all your posts. amazing move into new country, in all senses of the word
Look forward to hearing from you as you settle into your real place and work...
think of you often
love Siana

Unknown said...

Jambo Rafiki,
Namnagani?

Let me start off from the beginning...
Last night i met up with Jenna in Tel-Aviv, for a beer at the Gild, a new bar near my house at which Gilad (a.k.a GG) has been working since they opened their doors to the public 5 weeks ago.

(All this is already too much to handle - Meeting Jenna in Izzi, that is).

As if that is'nt too much to grasp at once, she tells me, that Hannah A-BOMB moved to Kenya for the next 2 years with the peace core, and that she has a blog online called (of course) barbie and Kenya .

So the first thing i do, after the morning head ache (from drinking too much last night) is hit google with all possible combinations of Hannah, Barbie, Kenya, until i stumble across This blog.


Back to the present, I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!!

What are you doing in my home land, and how is it that the African babie, is the last to know about this (well dont answer that :) ).

From your blog stories i understand that you already met the African Mama, my nana :), and that you are starting to fit in and feel homey.
The key is kiswahili, once you get that you've got it in the bag.

Just to add to your last entry I grew up on sukuma wiki and ugali, so i know what you meam by missing it, thats all i eat when i come to visit.

any way, i don't think the comment aria is the place to catch up so,

Sema Kitue :
gur@gurzeevi.com
www.gurzeevi.com


Have a great time and say hello to my home land, hope to hear from you soon,
Big G :)

Stuart said...

What a post! Sounds like an ideal living situation, Han. Can't wait to visit you. By then, you'll be virtually Kenyan. Or not. We miss you more or less constantly, but your experience is well worth it. Much love, mom and dad