Saturday, June 23, 2007

More from Kitui-land...

Saturday in Kitui, and I actually found and open computer at an internet cafe. I think the trick is having absolutely no expectations and being willing to wait for up to 3 hours for a computer (somewhere) to open up. It worked. :) Since I'm not at the post office, I am actually sitting in a comfy chair... the mouse works, AND the keyboard isn't all crusty. My fingers aren't getting the workout they would there (I don't have to exert much force to push the keys down), but I guess I'm ok with that. For today.

The weeks are starting to fly by here which is both weird and exciting to me. I'm thinking it must mean that life seems more normal to me now. I'm not shocked by many of the things that used to make (and or break) my days when I first arrived. Making babies cry is not out of the ordinary, in fact, I'm pretty good at it, but I don't take it personally (some babies who have never seen wazungu are terrified). I look forward to my bucket baths (twice a day) and reading by lamp at night is a wonderful way to fall asleep (SAFETY NOTE: DO NOT FALL ASLEEP with a kerosene lamp lit. When I said "lamp" up there I actually meant "torch" which actually means "flashlight" here).

Kiswahili is coming together-- still pole pole, as we say. This week we have a mock language exam. That could be sobering, but I'm feeling good. :) Next weekend we will be in Nairobi, and then we're off to visit our future sites for a few days. I will have a lot to report on when I get back from seeing where I'll be for the next two years (and roughly what I'll be doing). For now, I'm just excited to find out.

If anyone is interested in sending me packages, feel free-- I love getting mail. I am allowed to recieve packages duty free for the first 90 business days that I'm here (that gets me to September sometime)... just know that things you send may get opened (to be inspected) and or opened (to be jacked). I have heard that writing things like "Jesus is watching you", and drawing crosses, etc. and writing in RED ink helps deter people (Kenya is a pretty religious country), but don't send anything that you'd be really sad about me not getting.

Hope to hear more from you all soon! I've been able to check my email pretty regularly, so feel free that way, too. Miss and love you all,

H :)

2 comments:

Hannah said...

1. r-e-c-e-i-v-e. Receive. Sorry, parents.

2. If anyone can figure out how to send me iced coffee, that'd be great.

Rich said...

Hi Hannah, and greetings from Santa Barbara! Your blog is terrific... It is wonderful keeping up with your experiences. Diane and I lived similarly for a summer in San Ildefonso Ixtahuacan, Guatemala - no electricity, running water, or even toilets of any sort, in a small village called Chicup (a dozen families) in the hills above Ixtahuacan (a town of 1,500). It was life transforming.

Stop scaring those kids!

love,

Rich