Monday, June 18, 2007

At long last...

Ah! I have 17 minutes to tell you all about everything that is my life. Um.... wow.

So, I'm sitting in the Kitui P.O.... I've found that this is the easiest place to access the i-net... but you never know how many people will be in line if/or the internet will be up and running. I guess I should start by saying that I am GREAT... and loving Kenya. I have already had my share of ups and downs.... it feels like I've been here forEVER.... not just three weeks. It's insane when every day brings hundreds of experiences unlike any you've had EVER before in your life... it makes every day seem like an eternity. In a surreal, but good way (usually).

I'm living in Kitui at the moment... actually in a nearby village (about 6 K from town). I live on a farm (shamba) with a Mama a Baba and one sister (she's 9). Both my parents are teachers at nearby schools... it's not common that both parents work, but I think it is awesome. My Mama and Baba are the hardest working people I've ever met... they cultivate land in their SPARE time. It is inspiring and just... exausting, even to watch. I take bucket baths, cook with charcoal and wood and gas sometimes... use electricity that is solar powered and absolutely love it. My Mama says that her life (in Africa) is primitive compared to life in "my place" (the US)... but I can't help but appreciate the way I'm living here. It is different. SO different... but very involved. Raw. I can't even explain it or put my finger on it (yet)...

We have language and culture training sessions pretty much every day M-F in a small group (there are 4 of us who live in the same village)... twice a week all 50 volunteers in my training group get together near town for big sessions. Kiswahili is coming along... pole pole, as we say. It's hard because everyone here speaks Kikamba primarily. Everyone understands Kiswahili, but around the house, all I hear is Kikamba.

Ah! Two minutes.

I promise I will be better about updating this thing, now that I know I can get internet (maybe). Don't be strangers! Post, write, email... call (I have a cell phone, don't ask me how)... incoming calls are free... so... 254-723-061-235. Call me!!!

I am thinking of all of you and hoping that life in the fast lane is treating you well. More to come. Promise.

xoxoxoxoxo,
H

3 comments:

Stuart said...

Incredible that you can e-mail and call--seems like you're just around the corner, even though you're on the other side of the globe. We can't wait to see photos since it's just hard to imagine what your new world looks like. How wonderful that you're absorbing it all.

Love and miss you, of course!

Mom

Momma King said...

PS: Oh, sorry--I thought we had a family account. Now I've got my own!

Mom

ebs said...

Hi Hannah! I am so proud and excited for you! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Can we send you packages or not so much yet?